Monday, November 11, 2013

Olivia's first surgery. August 2013

This month was not all joy and laughs, one awful experience (which is at the same time a blessing) was to take Olivia to surgery.
I went alone all the way to Kansas City in the morning and they let us hang out in a room alone until her doctor (Dr. Burglund) got there. Then a nurse walks with you to a hall and you say goodbye to your sweet baby and hand it to the nurse. Man that was an AWFUL feeling. Sure, I knew it was gonna be for her good but if it was hard enough not to think of the possible fatalities, the hospital had the brilliant idea of putting a quilt with the pictures of all the deceased  children from that hospital. I understand they were trying to honor the angels that parents lost but could you put that somewhere else? Like, not where you hand your baby so she goes on surgery? Anyway, I was a crying mess. Thank goodness my family was there virtually checking on me. God bless cellphones and chats and facebook, seriously.

 Here is my sweet trooper still smiling.

















The surgery took like an hour and then they wait until baby is fully awake to let us get together again. In the waiting room I made friends with a mommy that her little boy was there because of his holes in his heart. Ay ay ay, being at the hospital so often makes me run into people with awful situations but man such an example of positive people. We are truly blessed for the technology we enjoy now a days and God bless the amazing parents that have to go through seeing their children in pain and not live a "normal" life. I am not one of those parents, her situation is tiny and minor compared to what I have seen.
Anyway, they let me meet with Oli when she was awake, I walked as fast as possible down the hall. There she was, in that hospital bed, with her tiny arm hooked to an IV. She was still not fully there but she recognized me. She knew mom was there to take care of her. I kissed and kissed and hugged her. Thank you all for your prayers. She made it perfectly fine =)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment