Thursday, May 3, 2012

The birthing story


                                             
On October 07th we went to the hospital to get induced but my progress wasn't enough to break my water, so they put some sort of uncomfortable medication on my cervix which included a nurse sticking half of his/her arm inside of me and sent us home. Oh before they did that they said they'd give me ____ which is a medication that has many law suits for killing the perfectly healthy baby, so after I refused to get that they offer that other medication. The things they still do the pharmaceutical companies despite of their dangers, gee!

Saturday October 8th they were sure Damian was just going to come on his own but nope, he refused even after 2 more doses of that very uncomfortable medication through the same uncomfortable procedure. At this point I had the feeling that the snow ball efect started, the more unnatural the birth is the more likely you are to be plugged to the IV.

After the 3rd dose didn't really do a thing to my body the doctor started me on Pitocin. Pitocin is an artificial release of oxitocin hormones,thus making the contractions feel like you are about to deliver a dinosaur rather than a baby; however, we were prepared. Luckily, we took pain management classes called hypnobabies. No, none hypnotized me and made me quack like a duck, hypno really just means "mind" and this classes taught me all I need to know about the process of having a baby including the complications, the medications some choose or have to have administered, and how to manage the sensations of having a child with the awesome power of my own mind.


 So we were at home waiting to go to the hospital when my contractions started on their own. It was awesome, it feels so nice and exciting. I took a warm shower and then we went to the hospital but since the contractions were not close enough to each other they still started me on Pitocin. I still wanted to have a natural birth so I was about 3-4 hours having my natural contractions and 3 more hours of the dinosaur Pitocin ones. Then they checked my progress and guess what? No progress, none at all. I was still at a 2 cm and 60% effaced. The nurse sat down with me and said they will proceed to do a C Section if I didn't progress, and she said if I get an epidural the progress will be faster (not the delivery, just the progress to get my water broken).
 


 Jonathan was not in the room when the nurse sat with me so I was just so sad I was not gonna be able to have my baby natural and I was gonna drug my child with the epidural (because the epidural crosses the placenta, they used to say it doesn't but now even in the sheet they give you at the hospital they made that clear). Jon got to the room and saw me all sad and took me to the bathroom and gave me a blessing, I felt peace then and understood that in some occasions this just has to happen. I was going to have to use medication not because I wanted to but because I needed it. So they proceeded to put the epidural among other IVs (like 4) and increased the Pitocin.



While we were waiting for all this to progress we were watching Nacho Libre. I wanted Damian to start getting familiar with his heritage LOL From then on I started progressing a centimeter an hour so 8 hours later I was ready to have the baby (they broke my water when I was at 6 cm I think). In total we were in active labor 18 hours and 3 of pushing. The whole time we were at the hospital I threw up. The nausea never left me until he was born. One push before Damian came, the doctor said that if he didn't come in that push we were going for C section. Then I pushed like never before and he came out at 10am on the 10/09/11 weighting 9 lbs.The doctor said to me he's had other 2 births harder than this one... comforting LOL



He put Damian in my belly and I had a horrible fever plus I was shacking like crazy so I couldn't hold him very well, I was afraid I would drop him, but he was heavy and so so cute. I couldn't believe that gorgeous thing was ours! =)




 

Then they took him to weight him and clean him. Jon and I were crying and crying and looking at this angel cry his little lungs out. Then I asked Jon "Does he look like a Damian?" and he said to me that he will be his own Damian =) I am getting all emotional telling this story but who cares about the 18 hours before and the 9 months of throwing up when I got this little guy to keep for eternity <3


 Another awesome thing of having Damian is the ability to eat and breathe without gagging YAY!!!! I ate like a pig the following 2 days, the meals that the hospital provided were awesome.






We were soooooo tired as you can tell by the look of my face but we were so so happy  <3







 It was nice to take naps with my baby, I guess I took naps with him before but this time I could cuddle him!


 Since the day Damian was born was a Sunday we received multiple visits. I was so excited to see good friends and family visiting.

                     
 Aunty Heather and uncle Rick                                                 Aunt Jean & Uncle Mark








                                                                                                   

Tia Erica y tio Scottie.                                                                     Tio Chase y tia Kate



















 My mom by miracle got to the hospital at 10:30 am just 30 min after I had Damian. She just had a feeling she had to go to the hospital because we really didn't know much on what to do and if we could or couldn't have visits.         

    Abuela Lulu                                                         Abuela Lulu, tio Pepe, y tia Mayus


















The end... or the beginning =)



No comments:

Post a Comment